Monday, December 15, 2008

Blah, Blah, Blah....

All the books I have read over the past year have been memoirs or autobiographies. I am uncertain of the difference between memoirs and autobiographies, so I will Google it and tell you later.

In January I read Barack Obama's Dreams of My Father.
In May, I read Infidelby Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

In August, I read The Places In Between by Rory Stewart. Rory Stewart is a bad ass Scottish dude who walked across Afghanistan. And when I say he walked I mean, he walked (on foot) across the whole country. Its a great read: often humorous, always enlightening, and only confusing in respect to the impossible foreign names.

Now, I am half-way through 'Tisa memoir (I know this, because it says 'memoir' on the cover) by Frank McCourt, the author of Angela's Ashes 'Tis is much better than Angela's Ashes. So far Frank McCourt is self-conscious immigrant that dreams of being admired. One thing he knows for sure is that he must get an education. Ayaan Hirsi Ali had that same determination to get an education too.

I am starting to think that maybe I should get an education too. Education has done well for me so far. I would be stuck in the mud with out it. So far, my education hasn't had to do with school. But they say, only papered dogs are worth money. What I really need is to learn how to type.

p.s.

Bush had a shoe thrown at him by an Iraqi reporter. Two actually. What I don't understand is why the news reporters feel the need to inform us, the viewers, that in Arab culture it is an insult to throw a shoe at someone. ?????? Isn't that the case in every culture?

2 comments:

.comments